What Is OptiLight by Lumenis?
OptiLight by Lumenis is a safe, gentle, and effective treatment for dry eye symptoms caused by meibomian gland dysfunction. This non-invasive procedure is the first and only FDA-approved intense pulsed light (IPL) treatment for dry eye management.
OptiLight uses precise pulses of light, done in the area below the eyes, to reduce dry eye symptoms. This 10-15 minute procedure can significantly relieve dry eye symptoms by:
- Increasing tear break-up time
- Reducing the amount of demodex mites and bacteria living around your eyes
- Eliminating blood vessels that contribute to inflammation
- Improving meibomian gland functionality (can we add a section on understanding MGD?)
Is OptiLight by Lumenis Right for Me?
While OptiLight by Lumenis is an effective dry eye management solution, we want to make sure it’s right for you. We do not recommend this treatment if you:
- Are taking certain medications, like Accutane
- Have active acne
- Suffer from certain skin disorders
- Are susceptible to keloid scarring
- Have severe scarring
- Have severely sunburned recently
Your optometrist is the only person who can determine which dry eye treatment is best for you and your individual needs. During your next eye exam, ask us if you are a good candidate for OptiLight by Lumenis.